Thursday, October 22, 2009

3 Down, 123 to go!

Having cleaned up my yarn stash, my task now becomes to actually work through it all! Here's my latest finished projects.

Here's my latest love's labour - a spiral shawl from Meg Swansen's "A Gathering of Lace". Christened the 'Nautilus', this was for a dear friend with a deep love of the ocean and everything in it. The yarn is a lovely dark brown and teal green which always made me think of tidepools. She'll be wearing it at the ocean soon when she's in Mexico for a family wedding.
I changed the edging used in the book to one that seemed to fit the style of the internal spiral better. Everything about this shawl was wonderful and such fun to knit - the pattern, the edging (where I had to add some beads, just because), the yarn.
And no matter how many lace projects I make - whether shawls, scarves, bookmarks, or curtains - I'm still struck dumb with how transformed the objects become when they're blocked. A little bit of water, a tug here and there, a few pins, and lots of time to dry (making sure to keep the cat out of the bedroom), and W. O. W. Amazing.
This little neckwarming gem was whipped up yesterday during our regular Knit Night Out. A quick crocheted loop on one end, a big bulky button, and voila! One more skein down!!
This project jumped into my Works In Progress pile very unwittingly. I had noticed the stitch in a book earlier in the evening, and just wanted to try it out. Of course, once I had a couple inches completed, and confirmed that the stitch was pretty cool, I couldn't very well frog my work (not without a very good reason). Bing, bang, boom, a new scarf.

A new rule I've added to my promise of no new yarn purchases, is that I'd like to have less than 100 types of yarn by the end of the year. At that rate, I should be able to make our Ten Twenty Twenty Ten final deadline. Somehow, adding more hoops to jump through is making this entire insane project more workable.

No comments:

Post a Comment