Saturday, April 18, 2009

Ready for Hibernation

I have always had what could be described as an obsessive, anal, and perfectionist kind of personality. And I'm okay with that. It serves me well a lot of times, though my husband has a difficult time understanding how I can focus down to the nth degree on one thing, like a knitting stitch or the paint inside the bathroom cabinets, while simultaneously ignoring other things, like the laundry or lunch for the kids.

Well, right now I'm obsessing about the quality of this family's food intake, so he doesn't mind so much. In fact, he's loving it. And the kids have definitely gotten on board as well since they've been scribbling down recipes from cooking shows they want to try and are arguing about which one of them will miss things like mac n cheese from a box less.

I was just pleased that during today's grocery shopping trip we didn't buy anything in a box except lasagna noodles (which don't come any other way). I'm not quite at the point where I'm focused enough to make my own fresh pasta. I'm there with the fresh bread for pizzas, sandwiches, and breakfast cinnamon rolls, but pasta? Not so much.

So here's a quick shot of my beautiful pantry. Small, but packed. Just the way I like it.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I love being able to see what's inside...and labels, too!! So, you buy even your crackers in bulk? Or are those something else on the top shelf, bottom row, second from the right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are actually oat crackers we made for this weekend's camping trip that got rained out.

    And yes, a few labels are left from when my mom lived with us and we were organized enough to label everything! (I love her handwriting.) It's good to label all the white powdery things, but not so necessary for the beans and pasta. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! I've wanted to do something like this for a long time but keep getting distracted/discouraged. I love your containers, too - where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Finally found your blog (off Trina's blog)...just wish we had a realy yard and could put in all the veggies you guys are! Oh, that and some SUNSHINE in the PNW would be helpful too!

    Take care and so happy you guys are gonna be up here this summer! We will have to get my munchkin & your two kiddos together!

    ~ Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Timary - those are ClickClack containers bought from Bed Bath & Beyond. The best thing about them are they're made in New Zealand, NOT China!

    ReplyDelete