Friday, May 29, 2009

Finally, PROGRESS!

After almost, ahem, three years of effort, we have a actual sweater instead of four blocked pieces sitting forlornly in the knitting basket. Of course, this is just two shoulder seams kitchenered and one sleeve set in, but geez, that's something! I only have a couple weeks to go before I'll be handing this over to my sis which may be enough time for me to actually finish seaming it up and possibly dye it. Then again, she may want to do that herself.

This colorful art was sooo much fun to work on I'm almost sorry it's finished. I know I wasn't supposed to start any new projects before I finished all of the ones in progress, but this was for a really good cause and besides, what Mama doesn't know won't hurt her.

And just to prove I could, this project was finished in 19 days. Now I think I know why some knitters work on only one project at a time. It's pretty darn exciting to actually finish projects while you're still jacked up on the newness of them!

Here's the gleeful birthday recipient of my handiwork! She had picked out the colors from my stash and I had a good lesson in asymmetrical design. You'll notice I was even able to overcome my need for even stripes in a predictable color sequence. I'm breaking all the rules now!

And yes, even though I have projects that have been waiting their turn patiently for years, I had the gall to continue to ignore them in favor of finishing my silk lace socks in time for . . .

THE YARN HARLOT!! Of course, I won't mention that I was too skattlebrained to remember to actually bring my knitting to keep me calm OR any of her books for her to sign. I did remember to bring the socks I worked so hard to finish in time, but I didn't remember to actually show them to her.

I did, however, give her this photo of my son and his knitting. He wanted to come himself to show off his handiwork, but I vetoed that.

I do have a couple more projects started (shhh! Don't tell!), but I'm trying really hard to finish them on a first come, first served basis.

2 comments:

  1. WOW, Mama! Your knitting is fabulous (and those shoulder seams R-O-C-K!).

    I love the photo of proud Mr. A. with his knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the circular shawl, Auntie J! I have that pattern on my "to-do" list too and want to do it in some earthy oranges, yellows and browns. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete